Today, I want to talk to you about taking thoughts captive. II Corinthians 10:5 says, “We demolish arguments and every pretension that sets itself up against the knowledge of God, and we take captive every thought to make it obedient to Christ.” How do we take thoughts captive and make them obey? By taking the following steps, we can get the victory in our thought life:
- Identify the wrong thoughts that are causing you to have negative emotions. We need to understand and remember that negative emotions proceed out of negative thoughts, lies from the enemy, that don’t line up with the Word of God.
- Identify the truth. The thought you think must be examined, and the principle or truth of God’s Word that is being violated must be identified, pulled up out of your spirit, and brought to the forefront of your mind.
- Identify the culprit who is injecting that thought into your mind, Satan, and address him directly. James 4:7 says, “Submit yourselves therefore to God. Resist the devil, and he will flee from you.” Tell the enemy, “Satan, I resist you. I reject this thought. I command you to flee. Leave my mind, and take this thought with you in Jesus’ name.”
- Plead the blood of Jesus over your mind as a shield against the entry of other satanic thoughts. Just as the blood over the doorposts of the Israelites homes in Egypt prevented the destroyer from coming into their homes (Exodus 12), you can plead the blood over your mind as well. The Blood serves notice on the enemy that he is not welcome to occupy space in your mind.
- Replace the thought by speaking out loud the Word of God that is counter to the satanic thought. It’s important to speak it out loud because faith comes by hearing and hearing by the Word of God (Romans 10:17). Furthermore, you can’t think a bad thought and speak the truth at the same time.
- Anchor your thoughts on positive truths and reality through praise and worship. God inhabits the praises of His people (Psalm 22:3). When He shows up, the anointing destroys the yoke of bondage (Isaiah 10:27). Therefore, go ahead and sing your heart out!
- Repeat the above steps as often as necessary until you get the victory! If you keep pressing in, you will certainly win. God says in Psalm 34:19, “Many are the afflictions of the righteous, but the Lord delivers them out of them all.”
Saints, it’s so important to examine our thoughts. Just because you think a thought doesn’t mean it’s the truth or reality. Once you identify the thought that is causing the problem, you need to take your authority in Christ, take it captive and make it obey using the steps above. Be determined to keep at it until you see victory. Do not give up, let up, or back up. That’s the only way you will walk in the victory Jesus died to give you.
Can you think of a time you had a struggle taking your thoughts captive? What revelation did you receive that helped you to get the victory?
I’d love your help in spreading the word about my books, Oasis for My Soul: Poems and Inspirational Writings for Spiritual and Personal Growth. Click here to find out ways you can help.
Would you like to receive your FREE e-chapbook entitled, Your Faith Has Made You Whole: Poems and Inspirational Writings for Spiritual Transformation, by Tracey L. Moore? Go to www.traceylmoore.com and subscribe to the email list.
Find me on Facebook: www.facebook.com/TraceyLMoore2012
Follow me on Twitter: @TraceyLMoore1
Image courtesy of Stuart Miles freedigitalphotos.net