I pray you had a blessed Christmas holiday filled with love, peace and joy. Unfortunately, many people are saddened at holiday time because of soul wounds caused by rejection, loneliness, loss of a loved one, and/or family or relationship issues. If you are dealing with a soul wound that is causing you emotional difficulty, or know someone that is challenged in that area, the information I am sharing here may help.
First of all, you may ask, what is a soul wound? A soul wound results when our emotions are injured in our interactions with others (whom the devil may be working through, I might add). These emotional wounds are mainly a byproduct of our erroneous thinking. When we know who we are in Christ, we will be less likely to be wounded emotionally. That is why we need to strive so diligently to know our true identity.
Today, my goal is to give you some encouragement. You can be healed of whatever is keeping you from being your best self, that which is attempting to keep you from fulfilling your destiny. If you want to be a better you in 2018, there are several things you can do to facilitate the healing of your soul:
- Forgive those who have hurt you. In the parable of the ungrateful servant in Matthew 18:21-35, Jesus relayed that the servant who would not forgive was being turned over to the “tormentors.” That means if we do not forgive, we too will end up in emotional torment. Forgiveness is the spiritual antibiotic that will certainly facilitate the healing of your soul,
- Love, bless, pray for and do good. In Luke 6:27-28 we are commanded by the Master to treat our enemies in specific ways. When we do what Jesus instructed, this is evidence that we have forgiven, and also our obedience releases the power to heal our emotional wounds.
- Identify and replace the lies of the enemy. Soul wounds result when the enemy deceives us into thinking less of ourselves because of what has happened, or what other people have said or done to us. When we identify the lie and replace it with the truth of God’s Word and what He says about us, healing will come forth, and we will be transformed by the renewing of our minds (Romans 12:2).
- Focus on helping others. When we have been emotionally wounded, we can choose to nurse our wounds, focus on ourselves, and have a pity party, or we can get our minds off of ourselves and help someone else. This is not to say that we should run from our pain. But when we focus on the needs of others, we will heal faster if we “trust in the Lord and do good” (Psalm 37:3).
- Confront the person who hurt you. Matthew 18:15 says, “If thy brother shall trespass against thee, go and tell him his fault between thee and him alone: if he shall hear thee, thou hast gained thy brother.” The healing process will often be expedited by telling those who have hurt you how you feel and giving them the opportunity to make amends.
- Confess your hurt to someone you trust. Paul said in James 5:16, “Confess your faults one to another, and pray one for another, that ye may be healed.” Talking to a trusted friend or a good Christian counselor, as well as prayer for the perpetrator, may be what you need to help to heal your broken heart.
- Saturate yourself with the presence of God. By meeting with Him daily in an established quiet time, you can be healed and transformed. Psalm 16:11 says, “In His presence is fullness of joy.” God says He is close to the brokenhearted, and He binds up our wounds (Psalm 34:18). If you want the wound in your soul to be healed, you must slow down and put yourself in position to receive His healing touch.
Jesus died so that you can be healed, healthy and whole. Therefore, don’t allow the enemy to get the best of you. If you will go into 2018 with the intent of becoming free of emotional baggage and do what the Holy Spirit instructs you to do, you can have a happier New Year, and 2018 will be one of your best years ever.
Have you been resisting God’s instructions about what to do to facilitate the healing of your soul? What do you need to change in 2018? Please leave a comment below.
I’d love your help spreading the word about my books, Oasis for My Soul: Poems and Inspirational Writings for Spiritual and Personal Growth and The Exceptional Man: Love Poems and Inspirational Writings Celebrating Godly Men and Great Relationships. Click here to find out ways you can help.
Would you like to receive your FREE e-chapbook entitled, Your Faith Has Made You Whole: Poems and Inspirational Writings for Spiritual Transformation, by Tracey L. Moore? Go to www.traceylmoore.com and subscribe to the email list.
Find me on Facebook: www.facebook.com/TraceyLMoore2012
Follow me on Twitter: @TraceyLMoore1
Image courtesy of Idea Go via http://www.freedigitalphotos.net.