Did you happen to watch the Super Bowl game On February 5, 2017? I’m not a real football fan, but I went to the Super Bowl party at church mainly for the food and the fellowship. It was an exciting game even for people like me who don’t even know what’s going on half the time. This game was phenomenal in the sense that so many records were broken!
Although this was just a football game, from a spiritual perspective, there were so many life lessons that could be gleaned from watching this particular clash of the football titans. Tom Brady, the New England Patriots’ quarterback, had a dream of helping his team to win the Superbowl for the fifth time. It looked like that dream was dashed when the team was down by 25 points in the third quarter. However, in spite of the huge deficit, he was able to lead his team to victory.
When it looks like your dreams are not going to be realized, you can take a lesson from Tom Brady. When the chips were down, Tom did the following:
- He never gave up. In a spiritual sense, you should never give up no matter how bad things look. Remember, it’s not over until God says it’s over. When you appear to be losing in life, and it looks like your dream will never come to pass, you must continue to persevere.
- He didn’t let the fact that the team was losing sway him. Sometimes it may look like you are losing in the natural, but you have to ignore what you see. The Bible says we walk by faith and not by sight. Focus on the promises of God, believe them, and expect to win anyway.
- He got in a huddle with his team regularly to discuss strategy. As a believer, when it looks like you are losing, you too must get into a huddle regularly. However, your Spiritual Dream Team is the Father, the Son, and the Holy Spirit! When you are going through a difficult time, getting in a spiritual huddle through regular prayer time is a must, for that is where God will give you the strategy you need to win.
- He went in the locker room at half time and regrouped. When it seems the devil is winning in the game of life, it’s important for you to take a break and regroup as well. Jesus said in Matthew 11:28, “Come unto me all ye that are heavy laden, and I will give you rest.” Isaiah 47:3 says, “Those who wait upon the Lord shall renew their strength.” When you are weary, pull aside, take a time-out, and let God refresh you.
- He used the overtime as an opportunity to gain the victory. The game went into overtime for the first time in Superbowl history! The coin toss resulted in the Patriots getting the football first and giving them the first chance to score. The overtime and the favorable coin toss was analogous to the favor of God in the life of a believer. Psalms 5:12 says, “His favor surrounds his people like a shield.” Expect the favor of God to show up when you need it. That’s what makes the difference between winning and losing.
Beloved, recognize the fact that if God put a dream in your heart, it’s only because He wants to bring it to fruition. However, you must cooperate with Him if you want to see that dream to come to pass. Don’t allow the enemy to deceive you. Ignore what you see in the natural. Stay prayerful, and look for God’s favor to miraculously show up on the scene. Finally, don’t ever give up! If Tom Brady can and the Patriots can come back, so can you.
What lessons have you learned on your journey towards pursuing your dreams? Please leave a comment below.
I’d love your help spreading the word about my books, Oasis for My Soul: Poems and Inspirational Writings for Spiritual and Personal Growth and The Exceptional Man: Love Poems and Inspirational Writings Celebrating Godly Men and Great Relationships. Click here to find out ways you can help.
Would you like to receive your FREE e-chapbook entitled, Your Faith Has Made You Whole: Poems and Inspirational Writings for Spiritual Transformation, by Tracey L. Moore? Go to www.traceylmoore.com and subscribe to the email list.
Find me on Facebook: www.facebook.com/TraceyLMoore2012
Follow me on Twitter: @TraceyLMoore1
Image courtesy of Arkorn via freedigitalphotos.net