What does it really mean to trust God? Trusting God means you confidently rely on Him. If you are not relying on Him, then you can’t call it trust. Trust requires that you have certain expectations, and if they aren’t met, your outcome will not be favorable. Reliance on another means that if the person does not come through, you will have a difficult situation on your hands. Therefore, when you say you “trust God,” you are communicating that you are relying on Him in the following ways:
1) You trust that God is for you and not against you. God is not out to get you. He is not sitting up in heaven ready to pounce on you when you slip up and do something wrong. He loves you, He is on your side, and is always willing to help you, even if the choices you made caused you to end up in the mess in which you find yourself.2) You trust God to keep His Word. God has made numerous promises to you in His Word. Jesus stated that “Heaven and earth shall pass away, but My words shall not pass away” (Matthew 24:35). He says, “I say the word, and will perform it” (Ezekiel 12:25) God is faithful. He will do whatever He said He will do. He is the same yesterday today and forever (Hebrews 13:8)
3) You trust in God’s ability and power to do what needs to be done. God is omnipotent. He is able to do exceedingly abundant above what we ask or think (Ephesians 3:20). His power is limitless. NOTHING is impossible with God (Luke 1:37)
What does it mean when you don’t trust God? When you fail to trust Him, you are saying a mouthful:
1) You insinuate that His character is flawed.
2) You communicate to Him that He is a liar.
3) You might as well say He doesn’t even exist.
4) You ungratefully discount all the things He has done for you up until this point.
Is this what you want to communicate to the King of the Universe? Your Daddy? Your Abba Father? Time to cry out, “Lord, I believe! Help my unbelief!” It’s time to recognize the faithfulness of God and to start trusting Him with abandon.
Beloved, God wants you to cast your care. He says He cares for you (I Peter 5:7). That means He has affection for you, but it also means He is your caretaker. He looks after you. He paid the ultimate price of His Son for you.
Casting your care is simply another way of saying, “I trust God to take care of [fill in the blank].” Are you casting your care on Him? Do you trust God, or not? How do you know that you are trusting God? You will have peace and joy in spite of what is going on around you. When that happens, you have truly entered into His rest. The only way you will ever enter into His rest is to trust God. Period. Without trust, you are in for a miserable existence.
So let’s pray and ask God to empower us through the Holy Spirit to fully trust Him. You will be able to say in the words of the prophet Isaiah, “The Lord God will help me, therefore, I will not be confounded. Therefore, I have set my face like a flint and I know that I will not be ashamed” (Isaiah 50:7). Your heavenly Father can be trusted to be exactly Who He says He is. He will not let you down.
What do you need to entrust to God today? Express your confidence in the Father by leaving a comment below.
I’d love your help spreading the word about my book, Oasis for My Soul: Poems and Inspirational Writings for Spiritual and Personal Growth. Click here to find out ways you can help.
Would you like to receive your FREE e-chapbook entitled, Your Faith Has Made You Whole: Poems and Inspirational Writings for Spiritual Transformation, by Tracey L. Moore? Go to www.traceylmoore.com and subscribe to the email list.
Find me on Facebook: www.facebook.com/TraceyLMoore2012
Follow me on Twitter: @TraceyLMoore1
Take a trip down a spiritually poetic trail, and dare to become your best for Christ.