Photo courtesy of Jennifer Ellison
After the amazing verdict came in regarding the George Zimmerman trial where he was acquitted in the death of seventeen year-old, unarmed, Trayvon Martin, I began to ponder about that “stand your ground law.” Since we have given so much attention to this law in the natural realm in recent months, I feel that it’s imperative that equal attention be given to the stand your ground law God has established in the spiritual realm. Jesus told us to stand our ground in Luke 19:13 when He said, “Occupy till I come.” Therefore, if we fail to do so, we most surely will “lose ground” spiritually, and the devil will then run amok.
As a Christian, you should never hesitate to stand your ground against Satan. That means when the he rears his ugly head, follows you, attacks you, and tries to keep you from reaching your destiny using circumstances, fear, doubt and unbelief, it’s time to immediately stand your ground. You are not to retreat, but stand, fight, and refuse to allow him to make you give up ground that God says is already yours. Thus, you must be prepared to take what is yours by force (Matthew 11:12) using the following tactics:
- Take your authority in Christ over Satan. God has given us authority over the enemy. It is up to us to exercise the authority we have been given by faith. The devil is not to control us. We are to control Him by using the spiritual weapons that God has made available to us (II Corinthians 10:4).
- Speak the Word out loud often. Job said, “decree a thing and shall be established unto thee” (Job 22:28). What is it that you want to see? What do you need to call into being? The Bible tells us to call those things that be not as though they are (Romans 4:17). In Mark 11:23, Jesus says if we believe and speak, we will have what we say. Hit the devil in the head and spiritually black his eye by effectively using the Word as a weapon.
- Fight fear and move forward in spite of it. Do not allow fear to paralyze you or make you retreat. It’s alright to feel fear, and we all feel fear at times. However, those who stand their ground move forward in spite of their fears. Do not allow fear to control you.
- Use the Name of Jesus. Whenever you need help, don’t hesitate to call for back up. Since the Bible says every knee will bow and every tongue will confess that Jesus is Lord (Philippians 2:10), the enemy is no match for the Name of Jesus. You must recognize your ability to enforce spiritual laws in the Name of our Lord and Savior, Jesus Christ, according to His divine authority.
- Never give up. You must be determined to outlast the devil no matter what. You have to come to the conclusion that quitting is just not an option. The only way you will lose the battle is to stop fighting. Remember, God says you will always triumph in Christ (II Corinthians 2:14).
You as a believer have been given the divine authority to stand your ground. As God’s child, you have a God-given instruction to fight against the enemy with spiritual weapons in an effort to completely thwart his plans and expand the Kingdom of God. Don’t back up, let up, shut up, or give up. Show the devil exactly what you are made of. Do not let him deceive or intimidate you into thinking that he will be the victor. Stand your ground until you win.
In what ways are you standing your ground against the enemy right now? Leave a comment below.
By the way, I’d love your help spreading the word about my book, Oasis for My Soul: Poems and Inspirational Writings for Spiritual and Personal Growth. Please click here to find out other ways you can help and download chapter one of the book for FREE.
Would you like to receive your FREE e-chapbook entitled, Your Faith Has Made You Whole: Poems and Inspirational Writings for Spiritual Transformation, by Tracey L. Moore? Go to www.traceylmoore.com and subscribe to the email list.
Take a trip down a spiritually poetic trail, and dare to become your best for Christ.